Up and Down the River is a fun and exciting drinking game that involves strategy, luck, and plenty of drinking. The game is played with a deck of cards and involves guessing the number of cards that will be drawn, with each correct guess resulting in a player assigning drinks.
In this article, we’ll show you how to play the game, the rules, setup, and tips for a great time.
How to Play the Up and Down the River Game
The rules of Up and Down the River are as follows:
1. The game is typically played with a group of three or more people.
2. Each player is dealt four cards face down.
3. The remaining cards are placed in a draw pile.
4. The first player guesses how many cards of a specific rank will be drawn from the deck. For example, the first guess could be “Two 7s.”
5. The deck is then shuffled and the dealer begins drawing cards one at a time.
6. If a card of the guessed rank is drawn, the player assigns drinks to another player, with the number of drinks assigned based on the number of cards drawn. For example, if two 7s were drawn, the player would assign two drinks.
7. If a card of a different rank is drawn, the player must drink the number of drinks that they assigned to another player in the previous round.
8. The game continues in a clockwise direction, with each player guessing the number of cards that will be drawn and assigning drinks or drinking as necessary.
9. After all players have had a turn, a new round begins with a different rank being guessed.
Up and Down the River Game Rules
To ensure that the game is played safely and responsibly, here are some rules to follow:
1. Players must be of legal drinking age.
2. Drink responsibly and do not exceed your limits.
3. No physical contact is allowed while playing the game.
4. If a player cannot or does not want to assign drinks or drink, they must sit out that round.
5. Do not pressure or force anyone to drink.
Tips for Making the Most of Up and Down the River
Here are some tips for maximizing your enjoyment of the game:
1. Use a beer with a low alcohol content to avoid getting too drunk too quickly.
2. Play in a well-lit and spacious room to avoid accidents and injuries.
3. Use a sturdy and stable table to avoid spills and injuries.
4. Be strategic with your guesses, as some ranks may be easier to guess than others.
5. Keep track of the cards that have already been played to improve your chances of guessing correctly.
6. Be prepared to drink, as the game can be challenging and difficult to win.
7. Assign a designated driver or arrange for alternative transportation if necessary.
Can Up and Down the River be played with less than three people?
While Up and Down the River is typically played with a group of three or more people, it can be adapted for smaller groups by using a smaller deck of cards or altering the rules.
How is the rank for each round determined?
The rank for each round is determined by the first player to guess the number of cards that will be drawn.
Can a player assign drinks to themselves?
No, a player cannot assign drinks to themselves.
Up and Down the River is a fun and exciting drinking game for groups that involves strategy, luck, and plenty of drinking. By following the rules and tips outlined in this article, you’re sure to have a memorable and enjoyable experience.
Remember to drink responsibly, take breaks as needed, and most importantly, have fun! With its unique gameplay and challenging rules, Up and Down the River is a great game to play with friends and family.
Whether you’re a seasoned player or new to the game, Up and Down the River is sure to provide hours of entertainment and excitement. So, gather your friends, grab your drinks, and get ready to guess the cards and assign drinks in Up and Down the River!